Avisure is a consultancy that has supported the aviation industry with specialist wildlife and operations expertise for over 25 years. We are regarded as the industry leaders in the field of wildlife strike mitigation, having completed projects for air operators, regulators, and airports. We have worked at more than 70 national, international, and military airports since 1996.
Our consulting services help our clients to reduce wildlife hazards with comprehensive risk management strategies, staff training and ongoing management programs. Avisure aims to provide the aviation industry with the world’s best products, processes, research, and expert advice to ultimately reduce the occurrence of wildlife strike and establish a benchmark in the industry that encourages a global proactive approach to wildlife strike management.
Making a difference drives our enthusiasm to deliver quality in everything we do. Our focus is growing long-term relationships with our clients by ensuring quality delivery.
About the role
We are looking for an enthusiastic Wildlife Control Officer to join our growing team. The role is based at Woomera, South Australia, and job duties involve operating daily at an aerodrome with remote support from team members based in Adelaide. This role will directly report to the South Australia Team Leader.
This role will suit a hard-working and resourceful self-starter who enjoys working as part of a diverse team but has the capability to comfortably work alone. You will undertake active management of wildlife, monitor wildlife populations, assess wildlife strike risk, and liaise with and develop rapport with clients. The role also requires data analysis and report writing which we will provide training on. You will also be trained as an Aerodrome Reporting and Works Safety Officer as a mandatory qualification to operate on the airside area.
The role is immediately available for a one year fixed-term contract with the possibility of extension. Beyond one year, you may be working with the wider Avisure team to deliver aviation safety, wildlife, ecology, and feral animal management programs for our Southern Australia operations. You will also be occasionally expected to assist with interstate programs for periods of two to three weeks at times.
Due to licencing requirements, you must be a South Australian resident to apply for this role. It is ideal if you live near Woomera, Roxy Downs, Port Augusta, Whyalla, or the wider Adelaide Region. If you are not a local to the region, relief can be provided to travel home with sufficient notice on a fortnightly basis or upon mutual agreement with Avisure. Remote working arrangements can be made for you to continue working for Avisure beyond the one year fixed-term contract.
Role Qualifications, Requirements and Attributes:
- Tertiary degree in biology, ecology, environmental management/wildlife or a Certificate III in Conservation and Land Management (with emphasis on wildlife management)
- Previous experience with feral animal and other overabundant wildlife management may also be considered
- Be an Australian Citizen and South Australian resident
- Be keen to work in aviation environments
- Be willing to learn wildlife (mainly bird) identification skills and experience in conducting field surveys
- Have a basic understanding of regulatory requirements for wildlife management
- Be willing to control and disperse wildlife under sound ecological principles and humane practices for wildlife strike risk mitigation
- Be willing to use firearms for the above purpose and obtain a firearms licence
- Be able to learn and apply landscape management principles to deter hazardous wildlife from aviation environments
- Demonstrate the ability to maintain situational awareness in relation to identifying safety considerations involving aircraft movement, wildlife presence, and the activity of other vehicles, equipment and people utilising the aerodrome
- Demonstrate the ability to use problem solving techniques to resolve project related issues
- Have excellent report writing skills or willingness to obtain these skills with training
- Have intermediate to advanced Microsoft Office (especially Excel) skills including the ability to manipulate data or willingness to obtain these skills with training
- Be a good communicator and team player who is reliable, self-driven and able to prioritise workload
- Be willing to travel to assist in interstate projects where required
- Be willing to operate after-hours for wildlife surveys and management as required
- Ability to go through medicals and pre-clearance drug and alcohol assessment
- Be able to obtain national security clearance through Australian Government Security Vetting Agency (AGSVA)
Overall, the following skills, attributes and licenses would be highly regarded:
- Vertebrate Pest Management Technicians Licence
- South Australian Firearms Licence for animal control purpose or similar
- Aeronautical Radio Operator Certificate
- Aerodrome Reporting Officer (ARO) or Works Safety Officer (WSO) qualification
- Understanding of Arid Ecology mainly Gibber Plains
- Bird identification skills with experience in wildlife surveys
- Knowledge and experience in wildlife management and/or vertebrate pest control
- First Aid and CPR certificate
- Competency to drive and recover a 4WD vehicle
We value our team and have developed an Employee Benefits Program to support, empower, and reward our people.
Here are some benefits we offer:
- Paid accommodation for the stay period at Woomera
- Celebrating birthdays in style with a paid day off
- $200 towards health and wellbeing
- Participate in community service with paid leave
- New parents receive 4 weeks paid parental leave (on top of the government benefits).
Avisure encourages and values diversity and inclusion in the workplace as we are an Equal Employment Opportunities employer. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
If you are an enthusiastic Wildlife Control Officer who is looking for a supportive and optimistic team, we want to hear from you!
Remuneration will be discussed in person during our recruitment process.
Please email email@example.com with your resume and a brief cover letter addressing how your experience aligns with our opportunity by 30th November 2022.
Please note that due to our high volume of responses, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Thank you in advance for your interest in this opportunity with Avisure.