Avisure is a consultancy that has supported the aviation industry with specialist wildlife and operations expertise for over 25 years. We are regarded as the industry leaders in the field of wildlife strike mitigation. We have worked at more than 70 national, international and military airports since 1996.
Our consulting services help our clients to reduce wildlife hazards with comprehensive risk management strategies, staff training and ongoing management programs.
We also provide our clients Aerodrome Reporting Officers and Works Safety Officers (ARO/WSOs) to carry out aerodrome works in accordance with the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations (CASR Part 139, MOS 139 and AC139), Australian and ICAO principles.
Making a difference drives our enthusiasm to deliver quality in everything we do. Our focus is growing long-term relationships with our clients by ensuring quality delivery.
About the role
We are looking for an enthusiastic Graduate Wildlife Control Biologist to join our growing team. The role is based north of Perth and involves operating daily at an aerodrome in Bullsbrook and/or Gingin with support of another team member. The role will initially directly report to the Regional Manager.
This role will suit a hard-working and resourceful self-starter who enjoys working as part of a diverse team but has the capability to comfortably work alone. You will undertake active management of wildlife, monitor wildlife populations, assess wildlife strike risk, and liaise with and develop reports for clients.
To be successful in this role you must:
- Have a tertiary degree in biology, ecology, environmental management/wildlife or similar
- Be keen to work in aviation environs
- Be willing to learn wildlife (mainly bird) identification skills and experience in conducting field surveys
- Have a basic understanding regulatory requirements for wildlife management
- Be willing to control and disperse wildlife under sound ecological principles and humane practices for wildlife strike risk mitigation
- Be willing to use firearms for the above purpose and able to obtain a firearms licence
- Be able to learn and apply landscape management principles to deter hazardous wildlife from aviation environs
- Demonstrate the ability to maintain situational awareness in relation to identifying safety considerations involving aircraft movement, wildlife presence, and the activity of other vehicles, equipment and people utilising the aerodrome
- Develop the ability to use problem solving techniques to resolve project related issues
- Have demonstrated report writing skills
- Have intermediate to advanced Microsoft Office (especially Excel) skills including the ability to manipulate data
- Be a good communicator and team player who is reliable, self-driven and able to prioritise workload
- Be willing to travel to assist in interstate projects where required
- Be willing to operate after-hours for wildlife surveys and management as required
- Be an Australian Citizen
- Be able to obtain national security clearance through Australian Government Security Vetting Agency (AGSVA)
Overall, the following skills and attributes would be highly regarded:
- Bird identification skills with experience in wildlife surveys
- Knowledge and experience in wildlife management and/or vertebrate pest control
- First Aid and CPR certificate
We value our team and have developed an Employee Benefits Program to support, empower, and reward our people.
Here are some benefits we offer:
- Flexible work arrangements
- Celebrating birthdays in style with a paid day off
- $200 towards health and wellbeing
- Participate in community service with paid leave
- New parents receive 4 weeks paid parental leave (on top of the government benefits).
Avisure encourages and values diversity and inclusion in the workplace as we are an Equal Employment Opportunities employer. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
If you are a passionate Graduate Wildlife Biologist with a ‘can-do’ attitude who is looking for a supportive and optimistic team, we want to hear from you!
Remuneration will be discussed in person during our recruitment process.
Apply now with your resume and a brief cover letter addressing how your experience aligns with our opportunity by 16th December 2022.
Please note that due to our high volume of responses, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Thank you in advance for your interest in this opportunity with Avisure.