Avisure is a consultancy that has been supporting the aviation industry with specialist wildlife and operations expertise for over 25 years. We are regarded as the industry leaders in the field of wildlife strike mitigation, having completed projects for air operators, regulators, and airports. Since 1996, we have worked at more than 70 national, international, and military airports.
Our consulting services aim to help our clients reduce wildlife hazards with comprehensive risk management strategies, staff training, and ongoing management programs. Avisure is committed to providing the aviation industry with the world’s best products, processes, research, and expert advice, ultimately reducing the occurrence of wildlife strikes and setting a benchmark in the industry that encourages a global proactive approach to wildlife strike management.
The drive to make a difference motivates our enthusiasm to deliver quality in everything we do. We prioritize building long-term relationships with our clients by ensuring high-quality delivery.
Our Head Office is located in Burleigh Heads, Gold Coast, with a branch in Adelaide and operations in Victoria and Western Australia.
About the role
Based in Melbourne, you will report directly to the Team Leader Victoria and be part of the Avisure Southern Australia team, which includes South Australia and Victoria. This role requires excellent organisational skills to support our busy team of consultants by undertaking various activities, such as wildlife surveys, wildlife dispersal from airfields, data analysis, report writing, day-to-day liaison with clients and stakeholders, and participating in company training and meetings. An applicant with the right background and attitude would not be expected to already have experience in all these areas and will be supported through training to meet Avisure standards.
The position involves a combination of office-based work and fieldwork conducted mostly during normal work hours Monday to Friday, with some work outside of regular business hours. Therefore, flexibility (including split shifts) and availability to support our busy team are crucial. You will also be required to support the interstate projects from time to time with sufficient notice from Avisure.
As part of the employment process, you will be required to undergo a fitness-for-work assessment, criminal history checks and successfully pass ongoing drug and alcohol screening, as per our client requirements.
To be successful in this role you must:
- A tertiary degree or diploma in biology, ecology, environmental management, wildlife, or a similar field
- Demonstrated report writing and data analysis skills.
- Problem-solving abilities to resolve project-related issues.
- The capability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Office skills, especially Excel, with the ability to manipulate data in complex spreadsheets
- Wildlife identification (mainly birds) and field survey skills.
- Willingness to work with stakeholders that will include preparing basic briefs and presentations.
- Willingness to travel to assist in remote areas and interstate projects, which may last up to two to three weeks.
- Strong communication skills, reliability, self-driven, and ability to prioritise workload.
- Australian Citizenship
- Ability to obtain Security Clearance from The Australian Government Security Vetting Agency
- Ability to obtain an Airport Security Identification Card (ASIC), which requires a criminal history check.
- Ability to obtain and operate firearms for wildlife control and humane euthanasia.
The following skills and attributes would be highly regarded:
- Demonstrated experience with ornithological surveys and studies.
- Knowledge and experience in wildlife management and/or vertebrate pest control
- Experience working on airfields or in an aviation environment.
- Aerodrome Reporting Officer Certificate
- Aeronautical Radio Operator Certificate (AROC)
- Airport Security Identification Card (ASIC).
- Firearms license – Categories A and/or B and/or C
We value our team and have developed an Employee Benefits Program to support, empower, and reward our people. Some benefits we offer include:
- Celebrating birthdays in style with a paid day off
- $200 towards health and wellbeing
- Paid leave to participate in community service.
- Employee assistance program
Avisure encourages and values diversity and inclusion in the workplace as we are an Equal Employment Opportunities employer. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
If you are a passionate Graduate Wildlife Biologist with a ‘can-do’ attitude, looking for a supportive and optimistic team, we want to hear from you! Remuneration will be discussed in person during our recruitment process. Please email your resume and a brief cover letter addressing how your experience aligns with our opportunity to email@example.com.
Please note that due to the high volume of responses, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Thank you in advance for your interest in this opportunity with Avisure.
Professional Award Level 1 Graduate from 1.1 to 1.4.
A higher professional award can be considered depending on experience and qualifications which will be subjected to a revised role description/responsibility.
- Are you available to travel for this role when required?
- How far are you willing to travel for work?
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- What’s your expected annual base salary?
- How much notice are you required to give your current employer?