Avisure specializes in wildlife risk mitigation for the aviation industry. Our services include consulting, research, providing expert advice and airfield wildlife management to reduce the occurrence and impact of wildlife strikes. We pride ourselves on finding innovative solutions based scientific rigour and are seeking individuals that want to be the best in the industry.
We are looking for part-time Wildlife Management Technicians (WMTs) to join our Vancouver International Airport (YVR) wildlife management team. The position is responsible for monitoring and managing wildlife populations on and around the airport to minimize risks to aircraft operations. You will be required to operate vehicles on the airport and use radios to communicate with air traffic controllers.
The ideal candidate is a problem solver who holds our values of Passion, Ethics, Team Spirit, Responsiveness, Optimism, and Leadership. The successful applicant will possess excellent knowledge of local wildlife species and behaviours and be capable of operating a variety of tools and equipment to manage them in this busy airport environment. The work schedules cover 24 hours per day, 365 days per year.
We offer a spot in an amazing team that supports, coaches, and mentors one another to achieve excellent safety and conservation outcomes. You will have opportunities to learn new skills and to teach others what you already know. We provide extensive training for the position which results in autonomy for our staff and a trust in our people to make decisions. We believe in finding the right people and helping them to excel at what they do in a culture of respect and support.
If you want to be part of a team striving to be the best in aviation wildlife management, please send a cover letter including responses to each of the selection criteria and your resume to email@example.com before Sunday June 23rd, 2019.
Essential Skills and Attributes
1. Demonstrated ability to work with a team and use problem solving techniques to safely and effectively harass and disperse wildlife from the aerodrome and adjacent habitats.
2. Situational awareness, particularly in relation to identifying safety considerations involving aircraft movement, wildlife presence, and the activity of other vehicles, equipment and people.
3. Computer literacy and ability to maintain electronic records.
4. A strong commitment to safety and safe work practices and a willingness to promote Avisure’s safety culture.
5. Current unrestricted class 5 driver’s license and ability to follow safe vehicle operation and traffic procedures for aerodromes.
6. Ability to acquire a:
Non-restricted PAL (firearms license).
Restricted Area Identification Card (RAIC) – requires background and criminal record checks.
YVR airside driving permit (D-AVOP).
Aircraft Radio/Telephone Operators Proficiency.
Pleasure Craft Operator Card.
Conservation Outdoor Recreation Education certificate.
7. The applicant MUST be legally eligible to work in Canada.
Desirable skills and attributes
1. Demonstrated skill in wildlife identification and animal behaviours, particularly birds.
2. Higher education or qualification in wildlife biology/ecology/conservation or equivalent experience.
3. Demonstrated experience in the handling, operation and maintenance of firearms.
4. Standard First Aid certification.
Applications close Sunday June 23rd, 2019. To apply please send a cover letter including responses to each of the selection criteria and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.