Avisure is a consultancy that has been supporting the aviation industry with specialist wildlife and operations expertise for over 25 years. We are regarded as the industry leaders in the field of wildlife strike mitigation, having completed projects for air operators, regulators, and airports. Since 1996, we have worked at more than 70 national, international, and military airports.
Our consulting services aim to help our clients reduce wildlife hazards with comprehensive risk management strategies, staff training, and ongoing management programs. Avisure is committed to providing the aviation industry with the world’s best products, processes, research, and expert advice, ultimately reducing the occurrence of wildlife strikes and setting a benchmark in the industry that encourages a global proactive approach to wildlife strike management.
The drive to make a difference motivates our enthusiasm to deliver quality in everything we do. We prioritize building long-term relationships with our clients by ensuring high-quality delivery.
About the Role:
Based in Woomera, you will report directly to the Team Leader South Australia in Adelaide and be part of the Avisure Southern Australia team, which includes South Australia and Victoria. This role requires excellent organizational skills and professionalism to live and work with Defense personnel and contractors. You will be required to conduct daily airfield wildlife inspections and wildlife dispersal using various methods you will be trained in. You will also be required to undertake wildlife surveys, basic report writing, day-to-day liaison with clients and stakeholders, and participate in company training and meetings. An applicant with the right background and attitude would not be expected to already have experience in all these areas and will be supported through training to meet Avisure standards.
You will also be required to undertake additional duties such as feral animal control, escorting other contractors on the airfield, and supporting interstate projects from time to time with sufficient notice from Avisure. The work is during normal work hours Monday to Friday. A few field-based tasks, such as monthly wildlife surveys and vertebrate pest management work, will be conducted outside regular business hours. Therefore, flexibility (including split shifts) and availability to support our busy team are crucial.
There will be occasional callouts to humanely euthanize injured wildlife which has been struck by vehicles in Woomera.
You will be required to live in Woomera Township in a company-provided apartment unless you live within reasonable driving distance from Woomera. You will be provided with a vehicle for work purposes.
Depending on your qualifications, experience, training, learning ability, and licenses, you will be supported remotely and by drive-in and drive-out senior staff. Avisure will provide relief personnel for leave with sufficient notice and for personal emergencies as required.
As part of the employment process, you will be required to undergo a fitness-for-work assessment, criminal history checks and successfully pass ongoing drug and alcohol screening, as per our client requirements.
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- Background in wildlife management, or a similar field, or proven experience in working in an airside environment as an aerodrome reporting officer with wildlife management and surveys as part of the duties.
- Ability to learn and comply with, or have a keen understanding of, animal welfare practices, legislation, codes of practice, and standard operating procedures.
- High situational awareness to work around aircraft, machinery, critical airside structures, personnel, and other vehicles.
- Problem-solving abilities to resolve project-related issues.
- The capability to work mostly independently in a remote area and as part of a team.
- Basic bird and other wildlife identification skills, willingness to advance these skills.
- Willingness to learn to conduct field surveys using basic survey techniques, willingness to advance these skills, and experience.
- Willingness to learn and use data collection apps.
- Working with stakeholders providing verbal debriefs will be highly regarded.
- Willingness to travel to assist in remote areas and interstate projects, which may last up to two to three weeks.
- Strong communication skills, reliability, self-driven, and the ability to prioritize workload.
- Australian citizenship (Permanent Resident, Work and other Visas cannot be considered)
- Ability to obtain Security Clearance from The Australian Government Security Vetting Agency.
- Ability to obtain an Airport Security Identification Card (ASIC), which requires a criminal history check.
- Ability to obtain and operate firearms for wildlife control and humane euthanasia.
The following skills and attributes would also be highly regarded:
- Demonstrated report writing and data analysis skills.
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Office skills, especially Excel, with the ability to manipulate data in complex spreadsheets.
- Demonstrated experience with ornithological surveys and studies.
- Knowledge and experience in wildlife management and/or vertebrate pest control
- Experience working on airfields or in an aviation environment.
- Aerodrome Reporting Officer Certificate
- Aeronautical Radio Operator Certificate (AROC)
- Airport Security Identification Card (ASIC), which requires a criminal history check.
- Firearms license – Categories A and/or B and/or C
We value our team and have developed an Employee Benefits Program to support, empower, and reward our people. Some benefits we offer include:
- Celebrating birthdays in style with a paid day off
- $200 towards health and wellbeing
- Paid leave to participate in community service.
- Employee assistance program
Avisure encourages and values diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is an Equal Employment Opportunities employer. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
For further information on Woomera, please refer to the following link: www.defence.gov.au/adf-members-families/local-services-events/area-offices/woomera. There is also a local hotel (Eldo Hotel) with a restaurant, accommodation and fitness facilities in the town. Woomera is also located 5 km from the township of Pimba, which is known for the famous Spuds Roadhouse. The roadhouse offers various amenities, including a service station and café.
While Woomera itself has a population of 140, it receives several visiting contractors, Defense personnel, and tourists. There is a primary school in town for families with children.
Roxby Downs is a 50-minute drive away with a population of 4,000 people. Roxby Downs has a Woolworths, Cinema, Subway, restaurants and pubs.
How to Apply:
If you are passionate about aviation and wildlife with a ‘can-do’ attitude, looking for a supportive and optimistic team, we want to hear from you! Remuneration will be discussed in person during our recruitment process. Please email your resume and a brief cover letter addressing how your experience aligns with our opportunity to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that due to the high volume of responses, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Thank you in advance for your interest in this opportunity with Avisure.
- Aviation Award for Ground Services Officer -level will depend on experience and qualifications or
- Professional Employees Award – level will depend on experience and qualifications.
- Are you available to travel for this role when required?
- How far are you willing to travel for work?
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- How many years’ experience do you have as a Biologist?
- What’s your expected annual base salary?
- How much notice are you required to give your current employer?